Bavaria Celebrates the 200th Anniversary of the Biergärten :
When King Max I decreed in January 1812, that Bavarian beer breweries could sell retail quantities of their cellar beer to the public between the months of June to September, the Bavarian biergärten was born.
Biergärten’s 200th Anniversary
2012 marks the 200th anniversary of the Bavarian biergärten and German beer gardens in general. Guests of beer gardens this year can expect to see a bit of celebratory events throughout Bavaria with each city or town having their own Beer Garden Weekend.
Munich Beer Garden Weekend – July 21-22, 2012
Munich’s beer gardens are world famous and those travelling to the capital of Bavaria on the July 21st weekend can expect to experience music, dance, Bavarian food and lots of good cheer.
Some beer gardens to try in Munich include:
- Viktualienmarkt Biergarten – Just a block away from Marienplatz, this is the most central beer garden
- Augustiner Biergarten – The oldest Munich beer garden
- Hirschgarten – The largest of Munich beer gardens has seating for 8,000 guests
- Hofbräukeller and Paulaner Biergarten are family friendly
- Biergarten Muffatwerk – This ‘green’ biergarten offers organic beer and food from their certified organic farm
- Waldwirtschaft – If you love beer and jazz, this beer garden offers both
- Flaucher Biergarten – closest to the Isar
- Park Cafe – has a sporty atmosphere