Bernkastel-Kues’ Weihnachtsmarkt and Highlight Events:
The medieval Marktplatz (market square) of Bernkastel-Kues must be one of the prettiest settings for a Christmas market. The square is small and cozy and the forty or so market stalls are set up against the backdrop of Bernkastel’s charming timber-framed buildings.
Bernkastel’s Christmas market starts on the November 19 and runs everyday (except November 20 due to Memorial Church day) till December 21. To help the countdown to Christmas Day, Bernkastel has the largest advent calendar in the region. Each evening at 5:30 one of the numbered windows of Adler Apotheke is opened to reveal a festive scene.
Some events of Bernkastel’s Weihnachtsmarkt include:
- Guided tour and wine-tasting lead by the “Bernkasteler Doctor”, well someone dressed up as the famous doctor anyway.
- An Advent dinner held in the festival room of the Moselle-Wine Museum
- An official opening of the Christmas market
- Advent carol singing
- Advent boat tour with hot drinks and Christmas stollen
– Launching of the Christmas Market in the Marktplatz
– An annual 10-kilometre walk around Bernkastel-Kues. Setting off from Marktplatz, the walkers are led by the knights from Landshut Castle.
– The spectacular “Fackelschwimmen” (torch swim). Members of the local “Oktopus diving club” plunge into the river Moselle, carrying lit torches to guide the way for St. Nicholas on his boat. As the swimmers arrive, St. Nicholas hands out presents to children on the riverbank in Bernkastel.
– As with all good celebrations, there will be fireworks display
– The opening of the last calendar window
With Christmas markets, there is mulled wine and Bernkastel has plenty of wine. They do a white mulled wine made from Mosel Riesling wines and a red mulled wine from the Dornfelder grape.
How to Get to Bernkastel-Kues
The closest airport to Bernkastel-Kues is Frankfurt-Hahn Airport. There is no direct railway or bus connection from the airport to Bernkastel-Kues, however there are buses from the airport to the railway stations where the Deutsche-Bahn integrated rail and bus services will get you to Bernkastel-Kues.
Where to stay in Bernkastel
There are many charming family-run and traditional hotels in the heart of the old town such as the Hotel Römischer Kaiser and the Hotel Doctor Weinstube which I rather like (see my post Here). For the complete list of Bernkastel-Kues hotels, see Here.
Event: Bernkastel Weihnachtsmarkt
Venue: Bernkastel Marktplatz
Dates: November 19 – December 21, 2016
Let's talk more about this... can you do me a quick 30-second favor and leave a comment below?