Within the Historic Old Town of Lübeck are Nine Christmas Markets:
With its historical attractions and medieval setting, Lübeck exudes charm at any time of the year. But at Christmas time, this “Queen of the Hanseatic League” is more than charming. Decked out in Christmas lights, stars and beautifully decorated Christmas trees, Lübeck has some nine Christmas markets operating around the Historic Old Town and the atmosphere is magical.
Christmas Markets in Lübeck
Nearly all of Lübeck’s tourist attractions are in the Historic Old Town and as you are exploring the sights, it is easy to get side-tracked by the more than 150 Christmas market stalls on the Rathausmarkt next to the Town Hall, at St Mary’s Church, St Peter’s Church, the Heiliger-Geist Hospital and a few blocks away in Koberg square. Not to be forgotten is the Winter Wonderland along the River Obertrave. The aroma of honey roasted almonds, mulled wine and grilled sausages fills the cold wintry air and it’s just a case of following your nose to find these food stalls. There are many other market stalls selling Christmas treats, hand-made wooden toys, Christmas tree decorations and more.
The pedestrian area of Breite Straße and the many side streets are full of shops and one of my favourite shops here is Niederegger who have their own Christmas bazaar. Lübeck is of course famous for its marzipan and Niederegger is one of the best known marzipan producers. This store is very busy during the year so expect it to be hectic at Christmas time. The marzipan here is absolutely delicious and it is well worth waiting your turn in the long queue to buy some. The cashiers do work pretty swiftly though.
If you happen to be in Lübeck on November 23rd, you can join in the festive opening of Lübeck’s Christmas markets. Visitors are invited to join in the “Shining Advent” church service at St. Mary’s at 4:30 pm, after which there is a light procession to St. Peter’s.
Lübeck Christmas Market Dates 2016
- Christmas market on the Markt in the historic Old Town (Nov 21 – Dec 30; closed on Christmas Day)
- Christmas market Breite Strasse (Nov 21 – Dec 30; closed on Christmas Day)
- Niederegger Christmas bazaar (Nov 21 – Dec 20)
- Lüb`sche Wiehnacht (Nov 19 – 20)
- Christmas fairytale forest at St. Mary’s Church is one that kids will love. 20 displays illustrate stories written by the Brothers Grimm (Nov 21 – Dec 30)
- Maritime Christmas Market on the Koberg (Nov 21 – Dec 29)
- Winter Wonderland at the river Obertrave (Nov 21 – Jan 1, 2017; closed on Christmas Day)
- Historic Christmas Market at St Marien Churchyard (Nov 21 – Dec 23)
- Craftsmen’s Christmas market inside St. Peter’s Church (Nov 24 – Dec 18)
- Craftsmen’s Christmas market at the Hospital of the Holy Spirit (Nov 25 – Dec 5)
The markets are open daily from 11 am and they close between 7 to 9 pm.
Where to Stay
The Atlantic Hotel Lübeck is conveniently located in the heart of the Old Town Christmas Market area and the Sandstraße bus station is just 100 metres away. Other hotels on the banks of the River Trave and within easy walking distance to the Old Town include the Radisson Blu Senator Hotel located directly on the River Trave, the Park Inn by Radisson and the 3-star Ringhotel Jensen. For the complete list of Lubeck hotels, see Here.
How to Get There:
Lübeck is about 45 minutes north of Hamburg.
Ryanair and Wizzair fly to Lübeck Airport. From the airport, bus number 6 transfers passengers to the city centre every 20 minutes.
It is easy to get to Lübeck by rail see www.bahn.de. Lübeck central station is 10 minutes walk to the Old Town or there are a number of buses that connect to the old Town.Agree or disagree?