Athens Hotel Review – Best Western Amazon Hotel :
For our stay in Athens we needed a hotel near Monastiraki Metro Station as we had to catch the 6:30 am metro to Piraeus. We left our booking till quite late as we weren’t sure of how things were going to pan out in Athens with the Greek economy in crisis. By which time, some of the more affordable hotels close to Monastiraki Square were already fully booked. Although it is a bit further from Monastiraki than I would have preferred, I chose the Best Western Amazon Hotel on the corner of Mitropoleos and Pentelis Streets. The room images on the hotel website looked good.
On arrival at Athens Elefthérios Venizélos Airport we caught the Airport metro to Syntagma Square. Mitropoleos Street is just the next street to the left of Ermou, the main shopping street in Athens. Within five minutes of exiting the Syntagma Square station we were at the Amazon Hotel and being checked in by the friendly reception staff.
I had requested a room on the higher level and with view of the Acropolis and we were very pleased to be given Room 607.
Features of the Amazon Hotel
Prior to arriving in Athens we had been travelling all round Spain and Turkey and we stayed at various 4 and 5-star hotels. On first impressions, our Amazon Hotel room exceeded my expectations for a 3-star hotel. The photos on the hotel website accurately reflect the room and its facilities. The interior design is modern and aesthetically pleasing. We had desk space to work at, as well as a seating area. The bathroom was small, but no smaller than you would expect of a 3-star hotel in Europe, and we liked the firm bed. The two small elevators didn’t bother us. Having travelled around Spain we found that even the huge hotels catering to group tours had elevators that were unreasonably small. We didn’t have breakfast in the hotel so I can’t comment on the standard of the breakfast.
What We Liked about the Amazon Hotel:
- The reception staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially Anastasia, Sotiris and Dimitri whom we saw more of than the others.
- We were offered an upgrade to their suite for one night – Room 700 is fabulous. If you book this room, you have private access to the whole roof garden of the hotel. From the roof garden you have spectacular 360° views of Athens.
- The housekeeping staff were also very good.
- The location is central, with easy access to the Metro, the shopping areas, the Plaka restaurants, the Acropolis and other Athens attractions.
- The free Wi-Fi in the room worked very well.
What We Were Disappointed With:
- Although Room 607 has a balcony, for security reason the balcony is not accessible. This is a shame as it would have been great to enjoy view of the Acropolis from the balcony.
We stayed at the Amazon Hotel before and after our Santorini holiday and thoroughly enjoyed our time at this Athens hotel. We would certainly stay at the Amazon Hotel again when next in Athens. If budget is not a problem, we would recommend booking the suite.
You can read more guest reviews and book the Amazon Hotel online HERE.
Map of Athens:So, what do you think?