CARNEVALE IS THE MOST POPULAR EVENT IN VENICE:
Carnevale di Venezia 2015 (Venice Carnival) runs from January 31st to February 17th and visitors to this pre-Lent Carnevale can expect a hive of activities in Venice, including pageants, entertainment, street performances, food, balls, theatre and plays.
Piazza San Marco and the Venice lagoon are where most of the Carnevale events will take place, although there are activities scattered around the city.
The huge “Festa Veneziana” on Saturday, January 31st announces the arrival of Carnival in the city. The “The Magical Banquet – A Gourmet’s fairytale in Venice” is an extraordinary food and poetry inspired show. There is also a water parade which will sail along the Grand Canal to the district of Cannaregio where stalls will offer traditional Carnival delicacies and Venetian specialties.
The Flight of the Angel (Volo dell’Angelo) is the traditional re-enactment from the top of the Campanile. The ‘angel’ is lowered into Piazza San Marco where she pays homage to the Doge and is greeted by a cast of people in period costumes.Some of the major Carnevale events include:
- The Best Masked Costume Contest at the Gran Teatro of Piazza San Marco
- Boat pageant on the Grand Canal
- The traditional Festa delle Marie
- Flight of the Angel
- Flight of the Eagle and Flight of the Donkey in Mestre
- Flight of the Lion
- Prize Giving Ceremony for the “Maria of Carnevale 2015”
For the complete program and making bookings for ticketed events, see the Carnevale website.
Event : Carnevale di Venezia 2015
Dates : January 31 – February 17, 2015
Venue: Piazza San Marco (main venue), Venezia
- Musica in Maschera is an entertaining concert performance which combines the art of melodrama and the mysterious and enchanted world of Venetian masks. What more appropriate time to enjoy this concert than at Carnevale. This concert is held at the impressive Scuola Grande dei Carmini in Dorsoduro.
- Musica in Maschera: Chocolopera and Ballet relives the magic of the 18th century Carnival tradition. Enjoy chocolates and pastries while you’re listening to opera arias by a soprano. This event is at Serra dei Gianini in the Castello sestiere.
- The Orchestra I Musici Veneziani performs its famous Carnival Concerts at the Scuola Grande di San Teodoro. To set the mood for the evening, every musician will be dressed in XVIII century Venice costumes.
- Why not make the most of your Carnival visit and enjoy an evening of opera at the Palazzo Barbarigo-Minotto, one of Venice’s greatest palaces. There is a range of operas to choose from, including La Traviata, Rigoletto and the Barber of Seville.
Venice is flooded with visitors during Carnevale so it is a good idea to book your hotel as early as possible. Some of the better hotels on the Grand Canal and Piazza San Marco may already be fully booked.
For the complete list of Venice hotels see Here.