Carnevale di Venezia 2013 – The Very Popular Venice Carnival:
Carnevale di Venezia 2013 (Venice Carnival) runs from January 26th to February 12th. The central theme this year is ‘Vivi I Colori – Live in Colour’. There’s no doubt that Venice is a colourful city and artists such as Canaletto, Guardi, Bellotto, Titian, Bellini and Veronese have all captured the colour of the city and the colour in the lagoon through their perspective painting.
Visitors to the pre-Lent Carnevale can expect a hive of activities in Venice, with pageants, entertainment, street performances, balls, theatre and plays.
Piazza San Marco and the Venice lagoon are where most of the Carnevale events will take place, although there are activities scattered around the city, such as the Ice Skating Village in Campo San Polo, a regular feature of Carnevale.
The Festa Veneziana announces the arrival of Carnival in the city. This typical Venetian feast includes a big night show and a mask parade. There is also a water parade which will sail along the Grand Canal to the folkloristic district of Cannaregio where stalls will offer traditional Carnival delicacies and Venetian specialties.
Carnevale is officially launched at midday on Sunday, February 3rd, with the traditional re-enactment of the Flight of the Angel (Volo dell’Angelo) from the top of the Campanile. The ‘angel’ is lowered into Piazza San Marco where she pays homage to the Doge and is greeted by a cast of people in period costumes.
Some of the major Carnevale events include:
- The Best Masked Costume Contest at Piazza San Marco
- A walking theatre show which reveals the “Secrets of Venice”
- Gran Teatro di Piazza San Marco
- Ice Skating
- Festa delle Marie
- The Colours of Music – Abba Gold
For the complete program and making bookings for ticketed events, see the Carnevale website.
Event : Carnevale di Venezia 2013
Dates : January 26 – February 12, 2013
Venue: Piazza San Marco (main venue), Venezia
- Musica in Maschera is an entertaining concert performance which combines the art of melodrama and the mysterious and enchanted world of Venetian masks. What more appropriate time to enjoy this concert than at Carnevale. This concert is held at the impressive Scuola Grande dei Carmini in Dorsoduro.
- The Orchestra I Musici Veneziani performs its famous Carnival Concerts at the Scuola Grande di San Teodoro. To set the mood for the evening, every musician will be dressed in XVIII century Venice costumes.
- Why not make the most of your Carnival outfit and enjoy an Opera Gala Dinner at the Palazzo Barbarigo-Minotto, one of Venice’s greatest palaces. In addition to exhilarating music, guests can enjoy typical Venetian Carnival pastries and fine wines. There is no dress code, but guests are encouraged to mask up.
- For those who want to go the whole hog with Carnevale celebrations, this event is for you. The Carnival Opera Gala 2013 at the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista is a full evening of cocktails, dinner, Opera Gala and finishing off with disco dancing. You have to dress in Costume for this event. For more information about the evening and where to rent your costume, see Here.
Venice is flooded with visitors during Carnevale so it is a good idea to book your hotel as early as possible. Some of the better hotels on the Grand Canal and Piazza San Marco may already be fully booked.
For the complete list of Venice hotels see Here.