Bastille Day Concert, Fireworks and the Firefighters’ Balls – Paris:During the past weeks, we’ve seen the City of Paris in preparation mode for Bastille Day 2013 celebrations.
Unfortunately, we will not be here to join in the celebrations, but here is a taste of what’s in store for the grand Fête Nationale celebrations.
From 9:00 a.m.
- The troops assemble at the Place Etoile for the military inspection.
From 10:00 a.m.
- The traditional Bastille Day military parade starts with the arrival of the President of France (Francois Hollande) and other military chiefs at Avenue de Friedland on the Champs-Elysées.
- Tribute paid to the President.
- Opening fly-past
- Parade of troops on foot from Arc de Triomphe to Place de la Concorde, followed by mounted troops
- Procession of troops in military vehicles
- Departure of the President
Fireworks at the Trocadero – July 14
The Champ-de-Mars and the Trocadéro are favourite places to watch the spectacular firework display. This year’s fireworks disco theme is ‘Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité. Starting at about 23:00, it will last for about 35 minutes.
If you’re planning on attending the fireworks, do arrive early and avoid driving. The Metro and RER are the best means of getting to the Trocadero as even the Vélib stations around the Champs de Mars will be inaccessible. Note: Paris Metros are very busy at best of times and for the Bastille Day celebrations you can expect it to be packed.
Balls of Fire in Paris
The legendary annual fire brigade’s ball takes place at many of Paris’s fire stations. All are welcome to join in as the firefighters party from 21:00 – 04:00 am. Entry is generally free, but there’ll be a barrel going around for donations. Below are some of the fire stations to head for:
- Rousseau – 21 rue du Jour, Paris 75001: July 13 to 15
- Sévigné – 7 / 9 rue de Sévigné, Paris 75004 – July 13 to 15
- Colombier – 11 Rue du Vieux Colombier, Paris 75006: July 13 to 15
- Blanche – 28 Rue Blanche, Paris 75009: July 13 to 14
- Landon – 188 quai de Valmy, Paris 75010 : July 13 to 14
- Chaligny – 26, rue de Chaligny, Paris 75012: July 13 to 15
- Port Royal – 53-55 Boulevard de Port Royal, Paris 75013 : July 13 to 15
- Massena – 37 bd Massena, Paris 75013: July 13 to 14
- Grenelle – 6 place Violet, Paris 75015: July 13 to 15
- Boursault – 27 rue Boursault, Paris 75017: July 13 to 14
- Montmartre – 12 rue Carpeaux, Paris 75018: July 13 to 14
- Bitche – 2 place de Bitche, Paris 75019: July 13 to 14
- Ménilmontant – 47 rue Saint-Fargeau, Paris 75020 : July 13 – 14