Provence Sightseeing Tours from Avignon:
The town of Avignon has plenty to keep visitors occupied during their visit, however, if you are spending a few days here, don’t miss Avignon’s beautiful and diverse countryside and the neighbouring towns and villages.
Avignon sits at the cross roads of Provence and Languedoc and within a short time, visitors can get to the many varied sites such as Fontaine de Vaucluse, Mount Ventoux, the ochre cliffs of Roussillon, the Luberon range with its old high perched villages and the marshes, wetlands and salt flats of the Camargue with its Rhone delta. Other amazing sites such as Pont du Gard, Baux de Provence and the Alpilles mountain chain are all within striking range.
In addition to its countless natural attractions, the Avignon countryside and neighbouring towns and villages offer rich cultural and architectural heritage:
- Roman ruins in Orange, Vaison-la-Romaine, Arles, Nîmes, Pont du Gard
- Romanesque and Gothic churches, abbeys
- Ansouis, Lourmarin, Barbentane castles
- Many art museums and various collections
- Folk museums such as the Bakery Museum in Bonnieux, the Lavender Museum in Coustellet or the Vinegrower Museum in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Jean-Henri Fabre’s house, and much more
Some Provence Tours from Avignon
If you’re travelling to Avignon by train or air, there are several Provence tours that you can do that will allow you to explore the Avignon countryside and the neighbouring regions, such as the following:
- The Roman Sites tour is a small group day trip that takes you to Roman and historical sites such as Nimes, Uzes and the famous Pont du Gard.
- The Provence and Lavender Museum tour takes visitors to Sault, the lavender capital of Provence, to see the lavender fields that Provence is famous for.
- On the Orange and Chateauneuf-du-Pape tour, visitors can combine a sightseeing tour of the historic Roman ruins in Orange with a wine tour and wine-tasting.
- The Grand Tour of Provence offers the best that Provence has to offer, including Roman and medieval sights, wine-tasting, Pont du Gard, Les Baux de Provence, a picturesque medieval village in the Alpilles mountains and much more.
The above a just a sample of the tours available. For all other Avignon tours see HERE >