Where is Montserrat and How to Get to Montserrat:
The Monestir de Montserrat is about an hour’s drive north-west of Barcelona and for most visitors, the easiest way to visit Montserrat is to join a day trip from Barcelona. However, if you prefer to get there on your own, these are your options:
By train from Barcelona:
- From the Plaça Espanya Station, there are hourly FGC (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat) trains to Montserrat. Catch the R5 line (Barcelona – Manresa) and get off at Monistrol de Montserrat station. (www.fgc.net)
From there the Montserrat Cremallera rack railway will take you up to the Monestir de Montserrat station.The journey from the Monistrol de Montserrat station to the Monastery covers 5 kilometres and takes about 15 minutes.
The journey takes 15 minutes, with departures from Monistrol Vila every 20 minutes.
- The R5 line (Barcelona – Manresa) also links up with the Aeri de Montserrat cable car which is the quickest way to get to the Sanctuary. To catch the cable car you’ll need to get off at the Aeri de Montserrat stop .
- You can also catch the Montserrat Cremallera rack railway to the Sanctuary from the new FGC Monistrol-Vila station.
Buying your train tickets
- If you are travelling from Barcelona, you can make the most of your trip by buying one of the following Trans Montserrat or Tot Montserrat combination tickets which offer a range of benefits such as transport, culture and gastronomy. These can be bought from the FGC train station:
- Trans Montserrat – Return Train ticket (Pl.Espanya – Monistrol de Montserrat) + Metro de Barcelona (Return ticket) + Rack Railway (Return ticket) or the Cable Car + unlimited use of the Sant Joan and Santa Cova Funiculars.
- Tot Montserrat – Same as the Trans Montserrat plus admission to the Audiovisual Gallery, admission to the Museu de Montserrat and a self-service lunch at the Montserrat restaurant.
Montserrat is in the centre of Catalonia and is well connected by the main road network. If driving, make your way to Monistrol-Vila station and take the rack railway up to the sanctuary. Monistrol-Vila station is off the C-55 and there is free and secure parking for 1,000 cars and 70 coaches. At the station you can buy your ticket for the rack railway, which takes you to the centre of Montserrat Monastery.
There are several paths to the sanctuary from neighbouring towns and villages. The walks take approximately 1h 45 min.
Map of Montserrat: