Within the Historic Old Town of Lübeck are Nine Christmas Markets:
With its historical attractions and medieval setting, Lübeck exudes charm at any time of the year. But at Christmas time, this “Queen of the Hanseatic League” is more than charming. Decked out in Christmas lights, stars and beautifully decorated Christmas trees, Lübeck has some ten Christmas markets operating around the Historic Old Town and the atmosphere is magical.
Christmas Markets in Lübeck
Nearly all of Lübeck’s tourist attractions are in the Historic Old Town and as you are exploring the sights, it is easy to get side-tracked by the more than 200 Christmas market stalls on the Rathausmarkt next to the Town Hall, at St Mary’s Church, St Peter’s Church, the Heiliger-Geist Hospital and a few blocks away at the Maritimer Weihnachtsmarkt in Koberg Square. Not to be forgotten is the Winter Wonderland along the River Obertrave. The aroma of honey roasted almonds, mulled wine and grilled sausages fills the cold wintry air and it’s just a case of following your nose to find these food stalls. There are many other market stalls selling Christmas treats, hand-made wooden toys, Christmas tree decorations and more.
The pedestrian area of Breite Straße and the many side streets are full of shops and one of my favourite shops here is Niederegger who have their own Christmas bazaar. Lübeck is of course famous for its marzipan and Niederegger is one of the best known marzipan producers. This store is very busy during the year so expect it to be manic at Christmas time. The marzipan here is absolutely delicious and they come in all shapes and sizes. It is well worth waiting your turn in the long queue to stock up on your Niederegger supplies. The cashiers do work pretty swiftly though.
If you happen to be in Lübeck on November 23rd, you can join in the festive opening of Lübeck’s Christmas markets. Visitors are invited to join in the “Shining Advent” church service at St. Mary’s at 4:30 pm, after which there is a light procession to St. Peter’s.
Lübeck Christmas Market Dates 2021
- Traditional Christmas market on the Markt in the historic Old Town (Nov 22 – Dec 30; closed on Dec 25)
- Starlit Forest at Schrangen (Nov 22 – Dec 30; closed on Dec 25)
- Niederegger Weihnachtsbasar (Nov 22 – Dec 24)
- Lübsche Weihnacht Craft Market (Nov 20&21 and Nov 27&28)
- Christmas Fairytale Forest at St. Mary’s Church is one that kids will love. 20 displays illustrate stories written by the Brothers Grimm (Nov 22 – Dec 30, closed on Dec 25)
- Maritime Christmas Market on the Koberg (Nov 22 – Dec 30, closed on Dec 25)
- Winter Wonderland at the European Hansemuseum (Nov 22 – Jan 2, 2022)
- Historic Christmas Market at St Marien Churchyard (Nov 22 – Dec 23)
- Craftsmen’s Christmas market inside St. Peter’s Church (Nov 22 – Dec 19)
- Craftsmen’s Christmas market at the Hospital of the Holy Spirit (Nov 26 – Dec 6)
- Travemunde Christmas Magic (Dec. 25 – Jan. 5, 2020)
The markets are open daily from 11 am and they close between 9 to 10 pm.
Where to Stay
The Atlantic Hotel Lübeck is conveniently located in the heart of the Old Town Christmas Market area and the Sandstraße bus station is just 100 metres away. Other hotels on the banks of the River Trave and within easy walking distance to the Old Town include the Radisson Blu Senator Hotel located directly on the River Trave, the Park Inn by Radisson and the 3-star Ringhotel Jensen. For the complete list of Lubeck hotels, see Here.
How to Get There:
Lübeck is about 45 minutes north of Hamburg.
Ryanair and Wizzair fly to Lübeck Airport. From the airport, bus number 6 transfers passengers to the city centre every 20 minutes.
It is easy to get to Lübeck by rail see www.bahn.de. Lübeck central station is 10 minutes walk to the Old Town or there are a number of buses that connect to the old Town.