HOTEL REVIEW: OUR CHRISTMAS STAY AT THE BERLIN INTERCONTINENTAL:
For our Christmas visit to Berlin we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel at Budapester Strasse 2, in the Tiergarten district of Berlin. The Intercontinental Hotel is not as central as I had hoped our hotel would be, but it is in an area noted for its urban parks and many of the 5-star hotels are located here. The Tiergarten is nearby and the Berlin Zoo and Aquarium are only a few minutes away.
Intercontinental Hotel in Berlin is a modern 5-star hotel with all the usual services for the business traveller. We arrived in the morning and had to wait till 2:00 pm for our check-in as the hotel was full. The reception staff were very pleasant and friendly and assured us that they will let us know as soon as our room was ready.
The hotel has 558 rooms, including 60 suites. Our room no. 541 on the 5th floor is a smart- looking, business-type room of average size. The bathroom was smallish, but it has nice collateral. The wardrobe and bag storage are in the bathroom, which I’m not keen on as I was concerned about it being steamy in the bathroom.
Meals we had
The Breakfast room is a little distance from room block. Breakfast was good. There was a good spread of food and getting a double espresso was not a problem. They also offer some Asian breakfast which was quite impressive. I tried some soup and it was much better than the food that we had in China on our recent trip.
What we particularly liked:
- As a member of the ICH Club, they treated us very well during our stay. The drainage in the bath was poor and the Room Manager followed up a couple of times to see if the problem had been fixed.
- Free WiFi in all areas of the hotel and the signal strength was good.
- Nice attention for ICH members
- The City-Weihnachtsmarkt was within easy walking distance from the hotel
- Easy public transportation to Berlin attractions
What we were not keen on:
- The wardrobe being in the bathroom
- The lighting system is not user friendly. You can’t switch on the bathroom light at night without switching on the bar light as well, thus disturbing your partner.
The Berlin Intercontinental is located on the western perimeter of Mitte Berlin, close to the Berlin Zoo. The hotel is a 15-minute walk from the Kurfürstendamm shopping street and Tiergarten Park. Buses stop just outside the hotel and the 200 runs directly to Potsdamer Platz and Alexander Platz.
Budapester Strasse 2