A Large Roof-top Balcony and a Spacious Room at the Splendid Hotel:
From Torcello we caught a water taxi to the private pier of the Splendid Hotel, a block back from Piazza San Marco. The Splendid Hotel Venice is a four-star hotel set on a canal in the Mercerie area of Venice. It seems to take in group tours and the hotel was extremely busy when we arrived.
We had to wait till 2:00 for the rooms to be ready, but when we got our room, it didn’t disappoint. We had a room on the top floor and it had a huge balcony with some view of the cupola of St. Mark’s Basilica to the right.
Our Stay at the Splendid Hotel
Our superior room was very spacious and nicely appointed. It even had a tea-making service, which is very rare in Italy. Although there is WiFi available in all rooms, it is only free for the deluxe rooms and suites. However, if you have your own computer and only want internet access for checking your email and a bit of surfing, the hotel offers complimentary 30-minute internet in the lobby area. You need to get the access code from the reception. Although it states that this free WiFi is only accessible in the lobby area, I found out that it worked in our room.
On the couple of mornings when we had breakfast in the hotel, we found they were exceptionally slow in assigning tables to guests. The maître d’ apologised and said that the girl assigning breakfast tables was new on the job. When the restaurant manager himself came and took charge of the supervision, things flowed faster. I was looking for a plate and the very alert restaurant manager came up to me, asked what I wanted. Surprised that there weren’t any plates at the buffet table, he went to the kitchen and got me a plate himself and got the staff to bring out more plates.
What we Like About the Splendid
- The location is excellent and we couldn’t ask for a better room
- Huge work desk with space for two people
- If you need to wheel your case to the San Marco vaporetto stop, which we did, there are no bridges to overcome
- The hotel has its own private pier so if you are coming or leaving by water taxi, it is very convenient.
What we Weren’t Keen on
- With room rates ranging from upwards of €400 per night during the peak season, they should offer free WiFi for all rooms.
- A little disorganized in the breakfast area.
- They take in groups here so service tends to be impersonal